Monday, July 27, 2015

A Shoe Commission

Sometimes commissions are a pain in the ass but in this case I enjoyed the whole process. It is always difficult to figure out what someone expects their painting to look like, and non artists often have a hard time explaining their vision. Often people decide what they want after seeing something they don't like which ends up causing lengthy revisions and repainting. However, I love working with great people and bringing their vision to life. 
One of the perks of commissioned work is getting to know my clients and their stories. My client Kelly and her best friend took a  graduation trip to LA, where they both splurged on a pair of designer shoes. To celebrate her friends birthday Kelly had me paint these shoes as a memento. Since I spend a lot of time painting ballet shoes this fabulous pair of Jimmy Choos was a nice easy painting to complete.
It took me approximately ten hours to complete this 11" by 14" acrylic painting. Initially I did four sketches for this commission to work out the composition and then coloured them to see if I was on the right track. I then got my paints out and started working. I added gold, silver and bronze paint to my pallet for this particular piece to help capture the sparkly shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment