Thursday, August 27, 2015

Why Art?

Why do I make art? I'm really not sure. Most days it feels like a compulsion. A compulsion to express, to create and to feel a certain sense of accomplishment which is then often accompanied with feelings of self doubt and confusion. I like very few of my paintings and often feel a sense of failure after completing one. No matter how good a painting may be, it could always be better!
The last few weeks I had multiple friends ask me "when do I find the time to paint?" The only answer I had for them was that I spent as much time as possible working on my art. It seems like an obvious answer to me but I'm not sure what other people do with their time? Why do I spend 10 - 20 hours a week painting and drawing? my answer....what else would I do with my spare time?
Like ballet, painting is a skill to be learned and honed in a technical fashion. In order for me to develop the skill and technique required to be a successful artist I need to be dedicated to my practice. Just like everything else you just need to practice!
This is my most recent experimental painting. I was excited and felt compelled to paint it....and then when it was done all my excitement drained away with the thought "is this art, or just a jumble of ideas?" I suppose the answer isn't important as long as I learned something from the process. I like the blue, I like the gold but all together there is something I dislike about this painting....maybe I hate squares. 
After looking at it for a couple of days I hate it a little less....perhaps it is growing on me!
I have titled it "Blue Ballet" and it is 12" by 12" acrylic on canvas. It is in my Etsy shop and I hope it sells so I don't have to look at it everyday. lol
The truth is I have no idea why I make art but I do know that it excites me and is a constant inspiration in my life. I don't know how I could live without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment